Last Day of New York

The last day of New York was the best. Despite my laziness in the morning, we managed to make it to Battery Park to see the Statue of Liberty from afar. When we arrived I immediately wished we had gotten up early. The weather was beautiful – clear blue skies with only a blast of cold air here and there. We managed to get some good shots and we got to see where the Staten Island ferry accident occurred (it was right near the subway station). After walking around for a bit, we headed to Central Park to walk around. Upon reflection, this was one of my favorite parts of the whole trip. I think there must have been some magic in the air cuz I didn’t mind traipsing through the snow and admiring the ice skaters.

From there, it was back to the hotel and then off to the airport. JFK was packed due to the massive amounts of people who were stuck all weekend due to the snow. Charlie the driver managed to get me there in one piece despite huge traffic jams and accidents in the airport. When we pulled up I noticed there was a massive line in the terminal. I went to the electronic kiosk to get my boarding pass and it was there that I was informed that the long line was to get my checked luggage x-rayed. I couldn’t believe it. After an hour or so, I managed to get my bag checked, but only after they let the people from my flight cut to the front (I was still two switchbacks away). When they asked for people from my flight, it was almost like a stampede.

I managed to make it onto the flight with little hassle, and despite an hour delay leaving the airport (they had to get all those last minute bags on board), the flight went fairly smoothly. I wished I would have slept more so it would have gone faster, but overall, it wasn’t that bad. I need to remember to bring headphones on the flight – it was pretty dull without them. Daniel was there at the airport to pick me up, and he took me home.

It was a fun trip, my only regrets is that we didn’t make it to New Jersey and the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. Hopefully the next time I am in the area, the weather will be a bit better, but it is kind of nice to tell people I was in the worse Nor’Easter in early December on record.
I have tons to do at work this week, so it might be a bit before I can get more photos online. In the meantime, enjoy the Gorn photos.